Friday, February 06, 2009

My Dad's Big Find

Those of you that have had the pleasure to meet and know my father, know that Larry loves to hike. Those of you that have known me for a while, will remember me telling you about all the fun-filled times my father and I had as he dragged me throughout the wonderful state of New Mexico for the two years that we lived there.

Now, hiking with Pops is an adventure more than anything else. Dad has this tendency to meander about the trail, veering off to check out even the slightest oddity on the trail. Other that killing rattlesnakes (that are always a threat, even though they're 25 feet off the trail!), this is one of the things that he loves and one of the things that I love about him. He loves to explore.

Well, all of Pops hikes and detours finally payed off. A few weeks ago Pops was leading a hike somewhere near Socorro, NM. As he was wondering around the desert, he happened to see a cave just a touch off the trail, so in true Pops fashion, he and the others ventured off the trail to see what they could find. And this is what they saw:

The basket

Now obviously this basket didn't look like this when they saw it, but they found this 1,500 year old basket in the cave! How awesome is that??? They took some pics, left it and then after showing it to his archaeologist in Albuquerque, Pops took them down there the next day. They dug it up and took it back to the big city to check it out. Rumors are that it is almost museum quality and one of the few baskets of its kind found in the area.

Dad and the basket after they found it.



Congrats Pops! I hope that basket makes it into a museum because I would love to wonder through it one day and see your name on the card beside it!

Dios te bendiga

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you know that you just loved taking those hikes with me!
Thank You
DAD

Mike and Lianne said...

Nice job Larry!