Wednesday, March 04, 2009

My Week at the Zoo.....

Sadly, it's been almost three weeks since my last post.

I'm getting terrible with this!!!

(be excited though, at least it's not four months!)

Anywho, last week my students and I went to the Louisville Zoo, which......was.....AWESOME!!!!

We had such a good time, studying different ecosystems and how animals and plants adapt to those environments. It was a solid week of science that allowed the students to really focus and learn about the world around them. We got to take some behind-the-scenes tours of the zoo and (even more exciting) the students got to pet a ton of animals! They were excited to see a shingle-back lizard, an armadillo, a hedgehog (my favorite!!), a tarantula, a salamander, a sand boa, a HUGE python (probably 16 ft long) and the ever popular box turtle and rabbit.

It was hilarious walking around the zoo with them because all they wanted to do was take pictures with their cameras, while the docents wanted us to keep up with them so they could continue their tour (a bit of a battle of wills really).

The best part: as a teacher, we had planned everything ahead of time, so all I had to do was wrangle students and check any behavior problems (which, sadly, I'm pretty good at).

The worst part: since we were there all day, the kitchen staff made sack lunches for us. I ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all week. I had never been tired of PB & J, but that finally happened. Luckily Chelle snuck out on Friday and grabbed me some Wendys!! : )

Well, I'll see if I can find some photos to post this weekend.

I hope things are going well, wherever you are.

Dios te bendiga

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You probably looked like Paul Blart (Mall Cop) wrangling those kids!
DAD

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the trip was successful. I was wondering how the sale of the bench went?
Deb

Anonymous said...

I noticed you didn't take your kids to McDonalds afterwards. Now that was a mistake worth learning from!

FYI, we just started the diversity unit and food tasting day is at the end of the month. That was a fun activity you got to experience at PV.

Mark Ganzeveld