Sunday, August 16, 2009

My Newly Earned Street Cred.....

Greetings to my two faithful readers that still follow this thing....even after months and months of inactivity!

I played a game of pick-up footy for the first time in years yesterday and had a blast. I met my buddy Clint at Seneca park to kick a soccer ball a bit and we ended up playing a pick-up game with some guys that just graduated from high school. Too be honest, I was quite nervous about the 7 v 7 game, mostly because it had been a while since I played.

Luckily, I held my own for a while.....(although they made us be skins....so it was there fault that a hairy 28 year old was running around the pitch)....until 30 minutes into the game when I was exhausted. Obviously, my fitness isn't what it used to be.

After missing a terrible shot....I got a cross on the ground.....as it came to me, I used my left foot to pop the ball in air and then hit it with my right towards the goal. I hit the ball better than I thought and it blasted off the keeper and into the goal. Needless to say, I was pretty excited. All of a sudden, the young guys were yelling about how "dirty" that goal was (which, apparently, means it was a pretty good strike). After receiving a round of hi-fives....I started to get the ball a bit more.

Sadly, it was the only goal I scored, but I enjoyed my Saturday afternoon. Hopefully, more to come later.

God bless

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting old is a bitch! Reminds me of the time the Jurasiac's played against the team from ABQ you were on and we had to cheat to beat you kids. Or maybe it was just skill/luck! Anyway glad to see that your back on the blog.
DAD

Anonymous said...

Glad you had fun. What a great way to spend an afternoon!!

Mom

Anonymous said...

I thought you had given up on this blog. Hope your first day of school went well!
Deb

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you again Bill. Stu and I still check up on you from time to time. Glad all is going well.

Jude

Anonymous said...

Lost but not forgotten... ;)