Sunday, November 26, 2006

My double Turkey Days....

This year was one of the first times I spent Thanksgiving away from home. At first I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to eat turkey and taters, however, I was pleasantly surprised with what I got.

On Wednesday I was headed to meet a Bible study group that I had just be invited to. It was going to be my first meeting with the group, so I was a little excited. When I arrived, I was asked, "Do you know what we're doing tonight?"

"umm....no, not really," was my reply.

"You mean, Michael didn't tell you?"

"Nope. I've been left in the dark."

At this point I was a little nervous. I wasn't sure if we were going to be singing hymns, sharing life stories or if I had to do some sort of initiation ritual, which had me a little nervous.

"We're having Thanksgiving dinner tonight!"

I was so happy that I almost jumped with joy. Not one, but TWO Thanksgiving dinners were headed my way. How can one man be so blessed?

Dinner number 2 was also great and it reminded me of the old Schurman Family reunions that we did on Thanksgiving. Everyone brought a dish (Alex made roasted a duck....a duck!!) and everyone was able to eat till their hearts were content. Around 20 people ended up coming and we had two turkeys and a duck for the main meats. It was fantastic. Good food, good people and the night ended with me in a food coma. Awesome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wondered what you would do! Glad to hear that you were able to stuff yourself like the rest of us. Do they have the shopping frenzy the day after like over here? Well, guess not since they don't have Thanksgiving. I was up shopping at 5:30AM - keeping the tradition alive!! Take care - Kandi

Anonymous said...

I"m glad that you had a good time and that it reminded you of the dinners we used to have. We even had those in the evening. And you are so right. They never lasted that late! Please take care.
AML

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that your Thanksgiving was so good. Never had duck. How was the weather? Did that help set the holiday mood (i.e. cool down)? If I thought it would have done me any good, I would have sent you some sleet and snow. How are you preparing for Christmas? I can see where Santa would be easier than the true meaning of Christmas. Have fun & be careful.