Wednesday, November 15, 2006

My students' thrill

As I sent my students out for break today, I noticed that the sky was full of clouds, which doesn't happen too often. They looked a little darker than normal, but I figured, "Hey, it's Egypt. It never rains here," so I sent them on their merry way.

During the break I was standing near the window and I noticed a familiar smell, a scent I had almost forgotten. I took another wiff of it and then it hit me....moisture. Now I was never one of those folks that believed that you could smell rain, it just sounded silly to me, but today, I became a believer.

I walked outside 10 minutes later to pick up my kids for 5th period and suddenly all the students started yelling, screaming and jumping up and down.

"Mr. Bill! Mr. Bill! IT'S RAINING! IT'S RAINING!!"

You would have thought it was raining chocolate or $100 bills. It wasn't even a sprinkle to be honest, but they absolutely loved it.

To be honest, it's the little things that allow you to make it through the day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool. I think sometimes it is so amazing the little things that make you smile. I would have loved to see the little faces. Please take care.
AML

Unknown said...

Mr. Bill! Mr. Bill!

Angie said...

i thought i was going to be the clever one to leave the "mr. bill" comment.

sad.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you can smell the rain. I can. Its a fabulous feeling to think God is granting me this wonderful smell. Thanks for so much graphics in your notes. I can picture in my mind what you are writing about & gives me the chance to see it too. Did you enjoy playing in the rain? Its ok to do that, we are all kids at heart. To hear that you had only one upset parent out of 60 says a lot for your teaching ability. It says you are doing a great job. By the way, more than just a couple people read your blog. I'm just lazy; don't think of what to say until I'm away from a computer; and then I forget what it was I was going to say. I blame that on my kids. LOL
Have fun but be safe.