Wednesday, February 07, 2007

My Pilgrimage.....

Okay, first off, I know, pictures....I'll try to post some soon, but I have to find a coffee shop or something with a faster connection, because mine is too slow, anyways, back to business......

Now that I have returned to Cairo, I can finally sit and truly think about the experience of the Old City. To be honest, this was half the reason I came to Cairo. To be able to travel to Jerusalem, to see where Christ was Crucified and where He Resurrected was a trip that I will always remember. I was able to walk where He once walked and that is one of the biggest thrills of my short life. This is something and a place that I have always wanted to visit and I can't wait to go back again in the future.

Besides seeing Golgotha, I also enjoyed Bethlehem and the Church of the Nativity. This is one of the oldest churches still in use today (the tour guide said the oldest, but he also took us to his "family's" souvenir shop which was conveniently close by) with parts dating back to the late 6th Century. Seeing the old mosaics on the walls and floor were amazing and the painted pillars that are credited to the Crusaders was also a thrill.

At the same time, the trip saddened me a bit as well. I don't like the souvenir shops, stalls and the pushy sales people that line the cramped streets of the Old City. I understand that there were stalls, shops and everything else back in the time of Christ, but I felt as though it cheapened the experience. To be walking down the Via Dolorosa, deep in thought and then to be asked, "Hallo, Where ar you from?" was very distracting and ultimately disappointing. Not just on that path, but all over the city. I realize that people live there and that they too need shops for food and other necessities, but I wish the city was more like the Jewish Quarter, a quiet and comfortable little place.
It was also disappointing to walk along the wall and through the historic sites and see how people have treated it. Walking through the Archaeological Park, filled with remains from over 1500 years ago and to see the part near the street looking like a garbage dump is upsetting. When will we learn to treat not only these places, but our own cities, towns and environment with a little respect? Are you telling me that these locals and tourists couldn't hold their trash for another 10 minutes tell they came across a garbage can?

Enough rambling, overall and incredible trip and one I will remember for the rest of my life. To see, read and pray where Jesus lived is truly amazing and nearly brought me to tears on a few occasions. I will return.......one day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you were able to make the trip, and that you made it back safely. It will be fun to set down with you to look at the pictures and explain everything.

AML

Unknown said...

very cool, bro. i'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous as well, this would have been so cool. I get goose bumps just thinking of being able to walk and pray where Jesus once was. Can't wait to hear your stories,continue to stay safe and enjoy whereever you decide for spring break.
Deb