Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My Poll......

Having returned from a fantastic trip to Jerusalem and now feeling as though there isn't anything else that I truly need to see in the area, I thought I would put out a poll for my next vacation. That's right ladies and gents, I want YOU to help me decide where to go on the next vacation.
Now, I'm not going to completely rely on this vote, so if some of you band together and manage to push something like Iraq or Iran into the victory circle, I may have to over-ride the decision. However, here are the current options:

Jordan--a lovely little country to the east of Israel. If I venture here, it would be a short trip over to Petra and back. Petra is an ancient city that was actually built into the rocks and the countryside. It is rumored to be an incredible site. The plus on this trip is that it shouldn't cost too much and it's the site that Indiana Jones visits in the Last Crusade.....awesome.

Back to Israel--there are some things that I would like to see in Israel that I missed last time. For instance, Masada, the Dead Sea, Jericho and Northern Israel, where Jesus spent a lot of time. It would be fun to go up there and walk in His footsteps a little more. The plus here is that it's not too expensive and I already know some of the route. The drawback is that I've been to Israel and it might be cool to get another stamp in the passport.

Cyprus--okay, I know what some of you are thinking....."Why Cyprus?" My response is, Why Not??? It's a little island in the Mediterranean Sea. The weather is pretty nice and it has some cool archaeological sites. The flight is pretty cheap out of Cairo ($250+) and the accommodations shouldn't be too bad. The drawback of course is that.....well, it's Cyprus.
(*editor's note: This possibly could be combined with the trip to Jordan...just a thought)

Europe--Some where in Europe, possibly Germany and Central Europe. The positive here is that I would get to explore a little more of Europe. The drawback is that this is the expensive option out of the group.

That's it, that's all I've got. Of course if you have an idea, feel free to submit that as well and see if you get the votes!! However, keep in mind that I will not be allowed into some Arab countries due to the Israel stamp in the passport (sorry Libya, Saudi Arabia and Lebanon).

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Go the Jones, man. Jordan all the way.

Jennifer VM said...

My vote is for Cyprus. Not sure why, just because it sounds cool. Then you could say you've walked around an island.

Anonymous said...

In Jordan you could also see Mt Nebo where Moses viewed the promised land. Also the spot where Jacob wrestled with the angel. But I have also been to Cyprus and there is alot of cool things to see. Plus they are not as hostile to Americans as Jordan.

William Flinn said...

I looked into some flights to Sub-Sahara, but they were a little expensive. I've also thought about Tunisia, I'll have to check the prices again.

Mom has also weighed in, via email, saying that she votes for Cyprus and is scared of me going to Jordan.....but she was also scared about Egypt.

And a big thanks to Doug for more things to see in Jordan!! Do you have any thoughts on other places to see while I'm here?

Current tally:
Cyprus 2.5
Jordan 2.5
Europe 1

Anonymous said...

When I was in Jordan we went to the Roman city of Jerash. That was in 1984 and they were in the process of excavating it. It is probably done now. There is also a roman colosseum in Amman. If you get on Wikipedia and type in Jordan it gives you several places to visit if you click on tourism.

Anonymous said...

I vote for Cypress (& not because your mom said to). Cypress is way cool & from what I've read on it, you would really like it. Jordan would be great, Biblically, but its just across the boarder from where you just visited. The same scenery, land, etc. (& Doug made a good point, Jordan is not to American-friendly). Why not go to Cypress? A small island, a Greek-Turkish mixture. Just think of the great food you could eat there.

Amy Burgin said...

Morocco! You can get it all... Lots of history as the place where Europe and African/Arabic cultures mixed--lots of Spanish, French and Portuguese influences, as well as Roman ruins. The food is supposed to be amazing, Mediterranean climate in the north, cool cities of Marrakesh, Casablanca and Rabat, as well as all kinds of smaller, tourist-friendly villages in the north near Spain (and good beaches!).

Anonymous said...

bill - your mom weighed in on me too - she swayed my vote... cyprus. sorry buddy, i caved : )

Anonymous said...

but... between you and me - you could accidently end up in jordan too... keep all parties happy. just a thought : ) shhh!

Anonymous said...

Jordan sounds like it would mean the most to you...but I vote for wherever you will be safest - Iowa City???
KB

Roster said...

I vote Jordan. Mostly because of the Indiana Jones thing, but also because you said it was east of Israel. If my geography skills are correct, wouldn't it be possible for you to see the things you missed in Israel as well? As long as you're headed that direction? Maybe I'm still not so good at geography... Have fun where ever you choose!

Anonymous said...

ok bill... its time to update this thing - we're all anxiously awaiting your decision!