Friday, March 02, 2007

My trip to Giza.....


Okay, so I know that you are awaiting the decision on where I will be heading for the break. Unfortunately, I haven't decided yet! Jordan sounds okay (and it's cheap). Cyprus sounds alright as well (however, not so cheap). To be honest, I haven't decided yet. Sorry!
In the meantime, I finally made it too the Pyramids of Giza. The last surviving of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World, the Pyramids were pretty cool to see in person. Looking back on it, it's almost unreal that I have actually been there and actually touched the Pyramids. Awesome.
The whole experience in its self was interesting. The fact that there are a ton of souvenir salesmen wandering around really takes away and cheapens the experience. Also there are a bunch of guys that want to take you on a camel or horse ride.....which was fun, don't get me wrong, but after an hour on a camel, my butt hurt.....badly.
Overall though it is an amazing site to see. The Sphinx was smaller than I thought, but it was still pretty cool. I went with a friend from school and her daughters, so I teased her about the size of the Sphinx. I believe I said it was as big as two school buses, from front to back. Obviously it was a little bigger, but not much.
AND sadly, as predicted when I was able to upload the one picture from the Pyramids, now I can't upload anymore. I'm doing this at home, so I guess I should have expected it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The picture is great. Looks like good weather. What were the pyramids like? How large are the blocks used to make them? Pictures make blocks look small but I've heard they are rather large. Did you get to tour inside one of the pyramids? Last story I saw showed excavation around the Sphynx, unearthing more of the past. Is this still so? A friend said she felt eerily chilled by them, some say its a dampness, others say its spirits of the dead. Did you feel anything like that? As for your next trip. Just be careful. Whether you like it or not, there are some of us who will worry. Take note of where the suicide bombers have struck & understand that there are only so many bottles of dye I can use to cover the gray from worrying & that we are living this through your words (don't tell your mom I said this but shoot for the interesting).

Anonymous said...

Okay, Bill - all I have to say is "IF" you manage to get your mother on a camel while she is over there visiting you - I will pay big bucks for a copy of THAT picture. I love the picture you took. Thank you for sharing your time in Egypt. I am sooo proud of YOU!

Anonymous said...

easy there mother - we would all get a kick out of you on a camel too! don't worry agnes, i'll stick up for you! : )

sorry bill - you're stuck in the middle : ) im glad you're having a good time - keep us updated!

Anonymous said...

I love the picture Bill. As for your next trip, I hope you go where you really want to go. I would like for you to come back to the states with no regrets. I really don't think the camel ride will happen. I could see Sarah on one, but not me. Thanks Cadi. We'll have to see what we can talk your mom into trying. Just think what Bill would go through if all of us went over at the same time.
AML

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill Good to see you are enjoying your time over there. Not much happening in the land of OZ. Footy season about the start (Go the Broncos). Glad to see David Beckham join US league. With a bit of exposure the game should really grow.

Anonymous said...

I opened your blog thinking I had quite a bit of catching up to do, but not so much. Things getting boring in Egypt? Yes, I'm enjoying living vicariously through your travels.