Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My Ollantaytambo.....

Well, well, I didn´t think it would happen....then bam! I found a decent Internet connection in the lovely little village of Ollantaytambo, Peru. It´s the site of an Inka temple, which is pretty stinkin´cool and I´ll try to post some pics when I get back to VZ....assuming my Internet is working. Odd side note....Shaun and I were talking yesterday and isn´t it weird that they can get a better Internet connection in the middle of no where, Peru (in the Andes Mountains of all places) and yet in Anaco, we´ve got nothing. Weird.

Well, we´ve been in Peru for three days now and I must say...I´m loving it! The people are friendly, the food is great (choices....actual choices!!!) and the views are simply stunning. We went rafting today and it was amazing to just look up for a minute and really take in what was surrounding us. Then on our 2 hour taxi ride back to Ollantaytambo, I was napping and I just suddenly woke up to this amazing view of the mountains. The sun was hitting it just right to alight the base and then the top was covered in dark clouds....it was such an amazing contrast and words don´t really do it justice. Neither would a picture, if I took one. I just looked up, thanked God for the view and stared at it until we were off the mountain. Simply stunning.

Things have gone great so far and we´re really having a lot of fun. We saw some pretty cool ruins the first two days, although one of our tour guides was terrible. He spent three hours telling us about how the walls were made/shaped/formed. I mean, after a short explanation, I´m good, but to continually talk about it.....and talk about it....and talk about it. AHHHH!!!! It reminded me of when I worked at the Wildlife Camps one summer and I would take kids on a walk through the woods, attempting to point out mushrooms and insects along the way.....they would ask me a question about something and I would reply.....um.....well I can tell you about this thing here instead, although it has nothing to do with your original question. The wall was his fallback.

Tomorrow though is the big day...Machu Pichu. God willing, we´ll be taking a train up to Aqua Caliente (yes...the town is named "Hot Water", only because there are hot springs nearby) and then we´ll head to Machu Pichu. I´m pretty psyched, as this is one of the places on my list of things to see (maybe I´ll share the list on a later post).

To be honest, this trip has been such a blessing. I haven´t seen my dad since August, so it´s a blast reconnecting with him....even though his Spanish is terrible!!! It´s also been fun to see all these amazing landscapes the God created here. It´s simply stunning to see these high plateaus amongst the stunning mountain back-drops. Hopefully some of the pics I bring back can do it even a bit of justice.

Well....the cafe is closing and the dude behind the counter is staring at me.....so I better run. I´ll see if I can find a café again before we head back to VZ on Saturday.

Dios te benidga!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys are getting to have this time together and seeing so much. It sounds breath talking. I'll be watching for the pictures.

AML

Mom