Friday, November 16, 2007

My MUN Experience....

Greetings to all!

The good news is that we have returned safely from a wonderful little MUN experience in Caracas. Luckily there weren't any major problems and believe it or not, all of my kids behaved extremely well. To be completely honest, I was extremely impressed with their behavior and I think they represented our school and our community very well.

MUN was a really intense experience at times. I learned a lot about how it works and about how the UN works as an organization. During the GA (Generally Assembly) meetings, three of my students got up and spoke in front of everyone. One was a Freshman having her first MUN experience, another was a Sophomore who had never spoken at MUN before. Finally (and probably my happiest moment) was when one of our Seniors, who has some difficulty with her English, got up and defended her resolution. Unfortunately, I was at the US Embassy, attempting to get my passport and I missed her speech, but from what I was told (by numerous sources), she did very well.

Politically, there wasn't a lot going on in the city. There was only one demonstration by the Opposition, but it was quite small and lasted only a few minutes.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience and it has laid the foundation for our trip to Germany in April. We will be heading to a city in northeast Germany called Lubeck for a conference and we are very excited about it.

Dios te bendice

3 comments:

Mike and Lianne said...

Sounds like a good time. I can tell from your post that you are into the whole UN thing. It sounds like a lot of fun and a great learning experience. You had better look out or before you know it you will be listening to NPR along with me.
Later Buddy,
Mike

Anonymous said...

Next stop Germany, sounds good to me. And don't start listening to NPR!
DAD

Anonymous said...

Larry come on... NPR is not that bad! I listen to both conservative and liberal stuff (although I will admit NPR is a bit leftist), at any rate my real NPR passion is Car Talk which is decidedly un-political.