Sunday, November 11, 2007

My Visit to the Other Side.....

Once in high school I had the opportunity to take a trip on a bus with a bunch of other students. I remember how much fun I had with my buddies and how much mischief we managed to cause without being detected by the teachers/adults.

Now I'm the adult.

It's awkward for me being on the other side. I remember what we used to do and I KNOW what happens on trips like these. How does one manage to watch over their seven students, while at the same time, attempting to give them the freedom that a high schooler needs to make their own decisions and learn from their mistakes?

I remember staying up late, sneaking out of my room, listening to loud music, ruining the group photos by looking in different directions (if not straight up in the air)....and those are just the things I feel as though I can post.

I've been very honest with my kids. They know the rules, they know the repercussions. I just find it hilarious that now I find myself on the other side of the hotel. The guy trying to stay away from his students, so that they can do what high schoolers do and I can continue to see them as the innocent students that they are.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, changing roles....what you mean I am the the adult? Seriously?
I know how you feel. I wish you luck and discernment as you mold the lives of future generations. Godspeed my friend.