Saturday, January 31, 2009

My Week Off....

So it continues!!
I thought that Tuesday was the worst of it....no school, lots of ice and a touch of snow. I was really looking forward to the rest of the week....and then Wednesday came.
We received 3-6 inches of snow on Wednesday, which, on top of the snow we already had and the ice.....meant that school was canceled on Wednesday. This extra snow also did a number on the trees and powerlines down here, which were already burdened.
This was taken outside of Target on Wednesday morning


Then I heard that fateful sound on Wednesday morning: "BOOM" I had woken to an apartment with power, which I had thought a blessing (in the night, before going to bed I made a bag of clothes to "getaway" in case something happened in the night. Tuesday night I had seen a transformer explode and watched as the powerline was on fire on the ground in the snow: awesome). That fateful boom was it for me, the power, went out.


This was the view outside my window on Wednesday morning.

The clean-up has been ongoing for the past 3 days. We received a bit more snow on Thursday, but nothing substantial. Roughly 200,000 were without power and they actually said that this was worse than the wind storm we had back in September (My Buddy Ike). The trees and powerlines just couldn't take it and many of them cracked, snapped and came tumbling down.

To be honest, the city wasn't prepared for it and how could they be? Rarely do they have significant snowfall during a winter and the sun/melting/freezing cycle hasn't helped us too much. Luckily it's supposed to warm up today and it is going to be in the mid to upper 40s tomorrow, which should help significantly.

I was lucky enough that my buddy Richard had power, so I stayed with him and his wife Sarah through all the fun. It was nice having a warm place to stay, so hopefully I didn't wear out my welcome!

Here's to hoping it's warm, wherever you are.....

God Bless

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A "Getaway Bag", now your learning. Hope you get power soon. DAD

Anonymous said...

Did not want you to forget those Iowa winters. :)
Deb