Sunday, March 19, 2006

Heat, Farms and a hotel

Well, it's been a little while since I've been able to post anything. I'm still in the hotel. I went to check out an apartment yesterday, but the kitchen was full of ants and he wanted to charge me $100 instead of $80. So, I said no thanks and I'm going to continue to look.
The zoo was a lot of fun! I didn't get to see Steve, but they had some cool shows and I got to see where he had been chased around. They also allow you to book experiences with some of the animals, so if I have any money left near the end of the trip, I might go up and hang out with a wombat and an echidna for a little while. Another cool thing is that they have a turtle that was captured by Darwin himself and has been in captivity ever since (that's the story at least). It is some sort of land tortise and it looks to old! I'll try to upload a picture when I can.
I had an amazing experience with Julia yesterday. She took me out to see some of her friends that live about an hour SW of Brisbane. I went to a mid-19th century farm that was really cool. One of the children had a bday party, so I got to see that. Then we went to where she used to live to visit some of her other friends. The husband took me out in his 4x4 on a tour of his property. It was awesome! There were some incredible views of the Great Dividing Range and the surrounding countryside. The drawback is that it was over 90 degrees! I was burning up!
I'm still looking for a place to stay. I'm getting some info off the web tonight and tomorrow and I'm going to make some calls tomorrow, so hopefully something will happen soon.
Other than all this, I've seen huge fruit bats in the city (at night) and I received my first ripped off feeling when I went to a movie last night (it cost me $25 for the ticket, a large drink and a small popcorn, and to be honest the movie wasn't even that good, and no Dustin, the prices weren't posted or else I would have left and not considered the movie).
OH! One more thing, I went to a dancing lesson with Julia on Friday night. She helps teach dance with this dude and I was allowed to tag along. It was fun! I may do it again another night, we'll see.
Hope all is well where ever you are. I'm exhausted from the heat. Take care,

Cheers,
Bill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are seeing things. That ride on the 4x4 must have been great. I think it's a good idea to stay in the hotel for now. Something will come up - patience.

AML

William Flinn said...

The prices that I am looking at are by week, that is how they do it down here. As for the dancing, I'm not the good, but I did get some nice comments :)