Thursday, March 16, 2006

Morningside

I got the ppportunity to visit my school today. It is very different than any I've seen in the states. First off--it's extremely hot! No air conditioners in the classrooms here. The temp today was 30 degrees celsius (times that by 2.2 and add 22 for the US equivalent). I'm not used to the heat. It's killing me. Not to mention that the fan in my hotel room is blowing the hot air around quite nicely.

I also got to spend some time with my cooperating teacher (Julie) and the other teacher that I will be helping out with (Jude). They're awesome! They helped me look on-line for some places to live and they are asking folks they know if they have anything available. They even said they might take me out into the country for a little hiking and sight-seeing. I'm pretty excited about that, there were even whispers of maybe going to a waterfall that is nearby.

I spent most of my day at the school, and tomorrow I have big plans. I know this may sound sad, but I'm taking the train up to Beerwha to see Australia Zoo, home of the US famous Crocidile Hunter. Crickey!--That'll be sweeeet!

Cheers,
Bill

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No airconditioning? Whew! Reminds me of my old school growing up where our entire building had only one room with air conditioning. That room was the principal's office! I did some more digging on Brisbane and it looks like the Brisbane Broncos will be playing football(rugby) in town a few times while you are there. That would be interesting to see.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your first visit at the school went well. Do you have any idea how many people wish they could go to the zoo with you? I hope you have a nice train ride. I can hardly wait to hear about it.

AML

Anonymous said...

Hey Buddy!!!
Glad to hear that the people your working with are nice and that you made it safely. To contrast your situation I am in a bit of a blizzard in NW Iowa, snow's a falling. Are you getting any of the tourney there? Good games so far.
How about you put that camera of yours to use and take some pictures for all of us state-siders.
OY,
Mike

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you arrived safely. I just returned from FL and had to read all the updates. I am freezing here after being in temps of the 80's. Wish I could send some cool weather your way. Sounds like you need it. Keep us posted.

We miss you.

Susie

William Flinn said...

All the love!! In response to a few questions:

Mark: That is great to know. One of the girls at school (Jude) has a boyfriend that loves sports and he may take me to a game or two. I've watched the rugby a little bit on TV--it's insane.

Mike: In super contrast-I went to a farm yesterday and it was well above 90 degrees. My arms are pink today. Plus--I can't do the camera thing yet, since I'm still at the hotel and I have to find a converter that works for large electrical appliances, since my laptop is almost dead.

Dustin--Congrats, I always knew you were good at arguements. Wendy even agreed with me.