Friday, October 06, 2006

My first Indy Experience....

On Wednesday night I got to have my first Indiana Jones type experience. Alex and I went with Gheda and Hollis to the Khan al-Khalili market in Islamic Cairo. It being Ramadan and going at night, we were sure to see some cool things.

The market was crowded and filled with little shops/stalls in tight alleys. It felt as though we were in a maze at first, twisting and turning this way and that, all the while looking at t-shirts, bronzed statues, stone pharoahs and sphinxes. We eventually ended up at a cafe located in side the market.

The cafe was packed and smokey. Everyone was out and smoking a little sheesha (water pipe) with their coffee, water and whatever else they decided to have. It was a great little joint. At one point Alex made the comment that it was like going to a baseball game, because as you sat there, peddlers came around with bracelets, peanuts, flowers and hena tattoos, trying to sell them to you. We even had a bread guy come along. We sat there for an hour, drinking Coke and watching the people pass by. It was a lot of fun.

We then left and wandered around the market for a little while longer. After which we went back and caught a cab back to Heliopolis. It was interesting seeing all the shops and listening to their owners trying to sell you things. You would always here, "oh, please come look here." or "Would you like a bracelet?" One man even said, "Hey Indiana". That was the best. I chuckled for a while at that one.
At one point a man tried talking to me and he followed me for a while asking where I was from. I constantly just said "No" to him until finally he asked me if I would like any hash. The final no was a little more forceful and he decided to head back to his stall.

One funny point came when we first entered the market. Some random little kid saw Alex and came up to him and started holding his hands. It was awesome! He just stood there and followed us, holding his hands. Then the kid switched and started holding Hollis' hand. After giving him a pound, he went away. Good times.

No comments: