Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My Hook up.....

I know that some of you will read the title to this post and be thinking bad thoughts.....but get your collective heads out of the gutter, this is not that kind of hook up.

Last week I took it upon myself to get the satellite set up. We had the TV, now we just needed something on it. So I called Showtime cable on Thursday night, in an attempt to get it set up as soon as possible. I had a man answer the phone and after a few minutes of making sure the prices were right, I told him that I would go for it. Then he asked when I wanted it installed and this is what followed:

ME: When can I get it set up?
CG (Cable Guy): Whenever you want.

ME: Really? How about tomorrow?
CG: Um....tomorrow? But tomorrow's Friday.

ME: Yeah, I realize that.
CG: But that's the weekend.....ummm

ME: So, you don't do Fridays?
CG: That's the weekend...

ME: Okay, so I assume that means Saturday is out of the question too huh?
CG: Saturday is also the weekend.

ME: Thanks for that. Okay, no Friday or Saturday.
CG: Yes, but we can come whenever you like.

ME: Oh, okay. How late do your guys work?
CG: Ummm.....what do you mean?

ME: I mean how late can they come out? It's only 7 pm. Can they do it tonight?
CG: Ummm...but it's dark outside and it's Ramadan.

ME: Okay, so now we have the restrictions. No weekends and they have to be done before dark?CG: Well, actually, they have to be done by 3 pm, because it's Ramadan.

ME: WHAT??? But it doesn't get dark until 5!!??

After this we finally agreed on Sunday at 1 pm. They showed up to my apartment around noon and stayed until I was got home around 2 pm. Then, instead of charging it to my credit card, I had to pay cash to get it set up (which was LE 700). It was incredible.

However, now we have satellite. I can't tell you how much my attitude improved when I was able to watch a college football game and a NFL game on Sunday (even though it was Houston vs. Dallas). We even get Seinfeld and The Simpsons. Best Part--I watched Fraggle Rock for the first time in a decade on Monday. It was fantastic!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I knew that you just had the satellite installed my mind was safe at all times. I'm glad you got to watch some football, too bad it wasn't the Eagles. Have fun.

AML

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like the cable companies here - why are you surprised!!!
KB

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart - I am getting so "techy"! I can't believe I am blogging someone...what fun?

I just wanted to say HEY and that I think of you all the time. The Middle East is hard to describe to people until you have experienced it in person.

Your Joshua 1:9 got me through my last year, don't forget to refer to it for yourself...

I love you, Bill. Be safe...let me know if you need ANYTHING!

TLT

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill I do know what you are talking about because I was there when the cable guy called. I hope you understand that this is how it is in the beginning.I have experienced this same case with alot of my forign friends and believe me things will get better. you are a very good teacher with multiple talents and you will get by and face all problems.REMEMBER we are all here for you. Tell hollis dina says this is a great idea you guys came up with.

Hollis said...

Nice anecdote, Bill. The way it happened sounds frustrating, but you got the cable guy to your house in a matter of days. Compared to the weeks it took me to do so in the States, I'd say the outcome was pretty positive. You've got a style that states the simple comedy without salubrious embellishment.

Anonymous said...

Being IT, I can't see what the problem is? Ha, ha. Just be glad you are dealing with them and not me. :) Your mom will agree since I just changed out her work computer while she was gone and now she has to figure out where I hid everything.
Hope all is well & you're having fun. How's things going with the kids? Now that Ramadan is ending, you will have to let us know how/if anything changes with the way the kids & school go.