Wednesday, April 25, 2007

My ANZAC Day (a year removed).....


Happy ANZAC DAY!!

This post goes out to the Aussies, because today is a special day for them, ANZAC Day. Today is the day that Australia celebrates and honors the fallen soldiers of her past. It was on this day, back in 1915, that Australia and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) landed at Gallipoli in Turkey during the First World War. It was the first major military action fought by the Australian and New Zealand troops. Over 8,000 Aussies were killed at Gallipoli and it's on this day that they remember those who have fought in battle. It is a very important holiday in Australia and I was introduced to it at 4:30 am, one year ago in Brisbane.

The ceremony was incredible. Before dawn, a fire was lit at ANZAC Memorials all over the country. I was at the one in Brisbane with John, the man I was staying with. Truly a special memory for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember your blog on that. I had never heard of it. What a nice way to honor the fallen soldiers.

AML

Dad said...

ANZAC Day will live for ever in the hearts and minds of the Australians and New Zealanders! We'll see if this new blog identity works.

Dad said...

Whoopie it worked.