Sunday, September 23, 2007

My Entertainment.....

It's funny sometimes living down here. I spoke with Agnes (my mom) not three hours ago and told her how it hasn't rained for the past three days or so, which is rare at this time of year. However I told her not to worry, I'm sure it would all be resolved soon enough.

Now I'm sitting in my classroom, soaking wet because I had to sprint outside to save our class tortoises, Jennifer and Ariana, from nearly drowning (again). I had accidentally left them outside one day and as it poured for a couple of hours, I was just happy to be inside. Then I realized they were still out there, sprinted up to where I keep them and sadly found them wading in a few inches of water with their little heads barely above it. Luckily they were still alive so I took them home, dried them off and let them sleep inside for the night.

But I continue on to the real purpose of this fun-filled post. One of the best parts of living abroad is all the amazing television shows and movies that we get. Last year in Egypt, we were able to watch some fantastic movies, like The Castle, which is one of my personal Australian favorites. We were also blessed with such sitcoms as Sister, Sister (possibly popular in the early 90s, but that's questionable), Reba and many British shows that I had never heard of.

I thought with the addition of direcTV, the entertainment would be a bit of an upgrade from last year and while yes, there is an improvement (Scrubs, Seinfeld and The Simpsons on almost nightly) there are still some awesome additions to our entertainment package.

For example, this evening I noticed one of my favorite movies from 1987, Harry and the Hendersons! Add to this spectacular movie, Vice Versa, Too Wong Foo (on VH1?) and, dare I say it.....nightly episodes of Quantum Leap (!!!) and you have an entertainment package that is second to none.

Honestly, who wouldn't want to watch this hilarious adventure?

However, I truly can't complain. There have been some absolutely amazing things on lately. I recently caught Bon Jovi Unplugged (awesome). I have also become addicted to La Prueba de Todo, or better know to you as the Discovery show Man vs. Wild. While the translation isn't anywhere close to the American name, usually most shows are. However there are some titles that are just hilarious because of the translation. For example: Brokeback Mountain, or which has been translated to something like: The Incident in the Mountains. Seriously, I sometimes crack up just checking the TV Guide. I hope things are as entertaining where ever you are.....

God Bless

2 comments:

emily said...

ok...I need pictures of these little tortoises! I love them! I'm glad they are still alive!
Harry and the Hendersons was one of my favorite movies!!!! I haven't seen it in a really long time.
AND...Quantum Leap. Man...good stuff!

Roster said...

I loved Harry and the Hendersons! And remember when they very briefly tried to turn it into a sitcom? They just don't make tv shows like they used to :D