Wednesday, September 12, 2007

My Second Birthday Abroad......

So birthday number two abroad has come and gone and I am officially 27 now. The staff here had a nice little picnic for me on Sunday night and then we just sat around and talked for a while. It was very low key (much like myself) and a lot of fun.

The next day (Monday) was great. All of the teachers said cumpleanos feliz (happy bday) and my 6th graders even sang to me, although that was probably just to waste some time in Math!!

I was talking with Gary, one of the other ex-pats here, and came to a funny realization. When you're young, birthdays are great and you get so excited because of the cake, the party and most importantly.....the presents!!! But as I've become older, I don't really look forward to a party or even gifts (cake however, is always great), but it's more of hearing from people that I haven't talked to in a while. I had a lot of messages on Facebook, and even a few on the blog, which was great. It's very humbling to know that there are people out there that want to wish you a happy bday, even though you may be on another continent and haven't been able to connect with them for a while.

I hope your day goes well,

God Bless

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Flinn,

[sorry for double posting, i posted this msg in the prev blog, you might dont notice it]

I came across your blog when looking for info of "anaco" on the internet. I got a job in Anaco.

I am now preparing for my moving to Anaco. Would you advise me what to bring/prepare (clothes, and other nessacery personal stuff)?

Thanks and Have a good day,
Eric

P/S: I'll visit ur blog again for your advice.

William Flinn said...

Eric--I left some adive on the other post for you. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Anonymous said...

Hi Flinn,

Happy birthday! (I forgot to wish you birthday and although now its late).

Thanks so much for the info. Its very useful and also the link in your school website.

I hope its not too personal/rude to ask about the living standard in Anaco. I mean, how much a person would normally spend for the living and also rental every month?

I was going to move to Anaco Venezuela soon but just found out the visa takes more than 10 weeks.

Look forward to reading other experience of yours in Anaco.

Thank you and good day,
Eric

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill,
Sorry this birthday wish is late as well.

Happy Birthday and keep up the great work of keeping your blog updated!

Deb K