Thursday, September 27, 2007

My Deserted Island (Three Books version).....

Since I haven't been feeling well for the past couple of days, I've been able to watch a lot of TV from the comfy confines of my couch. While watching an episode of The Office (which I've come to really enjoy) I saw the gang from Dunder Mifflin playing Deserted Island while waiting for the firemen to clear their office. The topic was, "What three books would you like to have with you on a deserted island".

This question made me think a bit. What three books would I want? I've always wanted to read The Idiot by Dostoevsky, but I haven't had the chance. I've also wanted to finish Don Quixote by Cervantes, but I got bored 200 pages in and just couldn't finish it. There are many others that I would like to read, but what if I didn't like them and became bored with them? Then I would have wasted one of my three choices on what would soon become firewood (and in the immortal words of Dwight, "....keep myself warm for like seven seconds."

I've decided upon these three:

1. The Bible (maybe I can finally get to some of those Old Test. books I've been meaning to read....)

2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis: I really liked this series, except for The Horse and His Boy, which I didn't think really fit in with the rest of the series. Possibly a few months on the island will help me get a better feeling for it (or remove it from my copy of the book entirely and use as tinder).

3. The Lord of the Rings series, by J.R.R. Tolkien. I really enjoyed the movies and when I started reading the books, it actually helped me get interested in reading again (a part of me that Middle School, High School and some of College destroyed).

Those are my three, take it or leave it. Feel free to post your three choices!

God Bless

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill...

Sorry I haven't kept caught up but am glad you are doing ok. Can't wait to see you and hear everything. Happy belated Birthday!

Keep you chin up and remember what Grandpa Virgil always said....nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

Love,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

The "John Carter of Mars" series by Edgar Rice Burroughs
"An Army at Dawn" by Atheson
"The Influence of Sea Power Upon History,1660-1783" by Alfred Thayer Mahan. Somewhat different than your selections but there they are.
DAD

William Flinn said...

Thanks for the great quote and the bday wishes Aunt Cindy!

...and Dad, a classic selection of what I would call, "Larry Books". Love ya for it.