Tuesday, February 05, 2008

My Long Weekend at Home.....

This is Carnaval, a Latin American tradition that celebrates.....well, I'm not quite certain what! From what I can tell, there are parades, drinking and dancing....but everyone seems to enjoy themselves!

I had wanted to travel over this long weekend, but to be honest, I was a bit late in trying to plan it out and having just returned from Valencia last weekend (a 9.5 hour bus ride there and 7 hours returning), I was a bit tired and could use a break. I was really looking forward to a weekend here in Anaco (did I really just say that??) and possibly getting a chance to do some grading, work on my resume and maybe start applying for a job in the Fall.

Well, then the water problems started. We have essentially been on water-rations over the past five days, including today. Guys were supposed to come and fix it yesterday, but it's Carnaval and obviously, no one was going to come (I mean seriously, working on a holiday? Did we really expect that?). Luckily they are here today and I managed to get a shower in this morning during one of our "on" periods.

I was really hoping to do a lot of sleeping and resting over this break, but to be honest, it hasn't quite worked out that way. Don't get me wrong, I've been staying up late, it's just that I can't sleep in.....at all. I volunteered to take care of our campus puppies (don't worry, pics and another post to follow soon) and their mom, Asabatchi, has a feeding schedule that starts at around 7:30 am (though I usually made it by 8). I know, I know, this doesn't seem to early, but when their last feeding time is 5 pm at night....you start to feel bad around 7 am and it weighs on the mind and doesn't allow me to sleep any later.

Aside from this, we have also had some electricity problems, because the city is working on the power lines on this side of town. On Saturday we had no electricity for most of the day. Luckily things were okay on Sunday and Monday, but again, it's a Sunday AND Carnaval, who's really going to work?

So today I'm crunching in everything that I meant to do over the past four days. I've just graded some tests and now I have to do some research on renewable energy sources for some reports that we are writing this week.

Good Times.

Dios te bendiga

4 comments:

emily said...

Can't wait to see pics of the pups!

Anonymous said...

You know how much I love puppies! Please try to get someone to take a picture of you with them.

AML

Mom

Anonymous said...

Sounds like most of my weekends, big plans and no accomplishments :) We're on our second snow day this week - I feel like I live in Alaska and I HATE Alaska - maybe you can move to Iowa and I'll move there - heat sounds good about now!! I'll bet if those workers ever move here they'll work for the cable company, HAHA!! Hang in there!
Kandi

Roster said...

Sorry to hear things are so frustrating in Venezuela. You're missing a great US/Mexico game. It's so loud there you can tell none of the players can hear each other. I think Howard might have a nervous breakdown before half time. He's turning so red with all the shouting he's doing.