Friday, February 01, 2008

My Rough Thursday.....

Basically put, yesterday was a difficult day. It was a tough day. It was a rough day.

I should have known that something was up when I awoke and found that I didn't have any water in my shower. I thought maybe it was just here, but I tried the sink in the bathroom--no love. I tried the kitchen sink and the other bathroom....no love there either. No worries, I figured. I took a washcloth style shower with the drinking water I had and called it good. A little extra deodorant, little cologne and I'll be good to go.

All was well until first period ended. I started creating a math test when suddenly....the power goes out. Now I'm sitting in the dark, creating a test. This happens quite frequently, so I didn't think much of it. I figured that in a couple of minutes, the power would be back on....no worries.

By the time 3rd Period started....no power. Now I'm teaching out in the cafeteria because my room doesn't have any direct sunlight (lots of trees outside the window and a gym as well).

So for the rest of the day, I taught my classes outside in the cafeteria. No power also means no A/C and no fans....so by the end of the day I was sweating like crazy (in my dress shirt, dress pants and shoes).

At the end of the day we had soccer practice, which isn't too bad, but our field is basically dirt and a few weeds....which gets one extremely dirty. I figured I was in for another wonderful wash-cloth shower....but I waited and waited.

I was talking with Susan and Shaun when suddenly...the lights came back on! Score! Now I can sit in the A/C and at least I'll be comfortable while I'm dirty. We had ordered pizza, so I was able to sit and eat my pizza with the A/C and the TV....excellent.....then I had a knock at my door. To my surprise it was my boss....who had yet to visit me since I arrived in August. After commenting on my amazing interior design (think bachelor-pad), he told me that we had purchased a tank of water and that I should get a shower in while I could. SWEET!!!!

The shower was nice and I finally felt clean (after a sweaty and gross soccer practice). However the bad news came today.....the pump on our well can't be fixed until Monday at the earliest. This means that we have to continue to purchase tanks of water until then. Luckily most of the school is leaving for Carnaval this weekend, so it will only be myself and a few other teachers here.....hopefully we can make it last!

Dios te bendiga

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Buddy,
I am glad you found some water or it would have been like high school gym all over again (in particular the never shirt you kept in our locker). Pizza, AC and TV are a nice combo although not this time of year in the northern hemisphere. We need to chat on skype.
Talk to you later,
Mike

Anonymous said...

-REVISED-
Hey Buddy,
I am glad you found some water or it would have been like high school gym all over again (in particular the never WASHED shirt you kept in our locker). Pizza, AC and TV are a nice combo although not this time of year in the northern hemisphere. We need to chat on skype.
Talk to you later,
Mike