Monday, February 11, 2008

My Lost in Translation.....

I don't know how many of you have seen the movie, Lost in Translation, but I had a similar experience just last night. In the movie, Bill Murray is an older actor that goes to Japan to do a commercial for some big bucks. However, he does not speak any Japanese and therefore is utterly lost in many of the conversations......while yes, there is more to it than this (and a good performance by Scarlett Johanson), I recommend checking it out if you're really curious.

Anyways....I had a similar experience at Subway, just last night. I told the gentleman behind the counter the type of sub I wanted, and what type of cheese (which isn't really an option here, even if you don't want the cheese, they throw it on anyways).

He then asked me, "Salsa?" (sauce? meaning Mayo or any other sauce they had)

I replied, "Mayonesa, porfa" (mayo please).

The man then picked up a yellow bottle and I thought to myself, "hmmm....must be doing things a bit differently, or the bottles are all dirty."

No.

He then shoots mustard all over my club sandwich. For those of you unaware, I really, really dislike mustartd.

So I started saying in a raised voice....."NO, NO! Mayonesa! Mayonesa!"

He says, "Oh," and then points to the white bottle. "Si" I respond.

Then he grabs the red bottle and shoots ketchup all over my sandwich!

NO, NO, NO, NO!! NO MAS!! MAYONESA!

He stops and looks at me quizically. "Huh?"

"No mas salsa," I respond. I think looked at the gentleman to my right in line and he was laughing....so I know I said it right.

Luckily the rest of the sandwich was without any problems, but I was not pleased. I ate the sandwich because, to be honest, I don't know what he would have done! He may have given me crab or something!

(sigh)

Dios te bendiga

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Billy boy! If you come to Iowa they wont mess up your sandwich anymore. dude come home. p.s my blog http://mfarles.wordpress.com/