Monday, April 24, 2006

The Gabba

On Saturday night I attended a real Aussie past time. I went with my cooperating teacher Jude and her boyfriend Stuart to see the Brisbane Lions take on Richmond in Aussie Rules Football at The Gabba. The Gabba is a local stadium that they play cricket, soccer and Aussie Rules. The sport is amazing and the guys who play it are incredible athletes.

Other than being one of the most brutal sports you could have, these guys can run over 15 miles in a single game (which lasts roughly two hours). I was impressed and amazed.

Other than fighting the temptation to get a one-time-use gift, I managed to purchase a decent t-shirt and an Aussie Rules football so I can show everyone at home and maybe take it to Egypt. We'll see.

On Friday I taught for the entire day, as my teacher was sick. It was awesome. I had 3 students pretend they were sick and when I sent a fourth student to the office, he sprinted out the door and ran around outside for the next 30 minutes until school was out. Good times.

Well, time is almost up and I'm getting up early tomorrow, ANZAC Day. I'll explain it more later.

I hope everyone is well, and as you know, I'm still....

livin' the dream,
Bill

1 comment:

William Flinn said...

The kids are year 3, which is around 7 or 8 years old. I would say it is similar to teaching 5 year olds how to play soccer, especially teaching them spacing!!