Thursday, April 20, 2006

Quarantine, Prep and sunshine....

Well, I'm back to the grind in the beautiful little city. According to the TV, it's been 13 days since the last time it rained here. Yes, it's been sunny and warm the entire time. I think I even got burnt again, but we'll see.

A funny little story for everyone to enjoy. Australia is very particular about what they let into the country. My mom sent my soccer shoes to me as well as some yummy trail mix. I was really excited when I picked up the box at the Greenslopes post office (about a 30 min walk). On the side of the box in BIG letters said: "QUARANTINE", then in little letters at the bottom it said "passed". I decided to walk around and make it so that everyone could see the quarantine part of the box, just for fun. Back to the point though, the Government has decided that my shoes were too dirty, so they've taken them and have put them in quarantine. AFTER I respond to their letter, it will take 2 weeks to decontaminated them and then they will send them back to me. However, my trail mix, arrived safely.

Other fun news, I was fortunate enough to help decorate a puppet theatre with some Year 1 students yesterday. We painted and painted and painted, while trying not to paint our neighbor. It was fun, but draining. I don't think I could work with 1st Graders.

On Tuesday I went to a meeting about Prep. Prep is basically kindergarten. They have just decided that prep would be a good thing to do in schools, so as of next year, Queensland will begin doing prep. Great Idea.

Other than that, I'm still alive. I've been pretty tired lately. I'm trying to watch the Champions League games here, but they start at 4:30 am!!! It makes for a long day. I'm cheering for Barcelona, only because I hate Arsenal.

I hope all is well for everyone else, be good and God Bless!

Bill

3 comments:

Angie said...

my shoes got quarantined at the airport once. i was stupid enough to admit that we had been on a farm in africa so i had to wait in line for a long time. they made me take off my shoes, they sprayed something on them, then i had to stand there holding them barefoot until they said that my shoes were no longer a threat to national security.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if I sent my laundry if they would clean that and send it back to me?? Interesting the way countries run! I'm so impressed with all the things you are doing over there - I really admire you! Have you found a church you like? What about Easter - is it as commercial over there? Only 31 days left of school over here, not that I'm counting! Keep enjoying yourself - its amazing the things you are doing!!

William Flinn said...

No luck on the church yet. I thought I found one, but it's just not what I'm looking for. As for quarantine with the cleats on the way home, by the time I get them, I'll be headed back to the States, so I won't even get to use them!