Monday, April 24, 2006

ANZAC Day

I awoke very early this morning to take part in an Aussie tradition. Every year on this day they celebrate ANZAC Day to remember all the soldiers that have died in past wars. ANZAC stands for Australia-New Zealand Army Corp, just so you know, but back to the story.

I awoke at 2:50 am so that I could be on the 3:44 am train, in order to make the 4:20 am mass at the ANZAC temple in ANZAC square, which is in downtown Brisbane. It was a wonderful ceremony. The governor of Queensland gave a short speech and she placed flowers in the Memorial, along with a member of each branch of the service. Then a bugler (a person who plays the bugle) played "The Last Patrol" which is similar to our Taps. After that, people went up to see the temple/memorial and then the festivities were put on hold until 10 am when the parade began.

The parade consisted of former soldiers, their family members or family members marching in honor of departed loved ones. It was a good parade, although almost every division had a group of people that marched, so it went on for a while. I finally left at 11:30, with no end in sight.

It was a great experience and I enjoyed seeing how the Aussies remember those that have fallen in battle. It was moving and I had never seen so many Australia flags before!

One funny part was that some of the old military Jeeps that they drove had the steering wheel on the left side of the car (not the right, which they normally do). Then on some of those vehicles, you could see "USA" stenciled on the side of the vehicle. I smiled.

I hope all is well, Egypt is back on track and looking like a go, so that should be sweet!!

I miss you all, be good and take care,
Bill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an experience! I hope you took some pictures. I had never heard of this day. Terry hadn't either. I googled it after I saw you blog yesterday. I wonder why we never studied it in world history. Maybe it was something I missed. Please continue to enjoy and take in as much as you can.
AML

Angie said...

more holidays should have z's