Wednesday, August 30, 2006

My Answers....

Okay, okay, so I've been getting some questions on the blog and I figured maybe, just maybe I would answer one or two of them.

First off, the pollution here is not just smog, but there is honestly trash on the streets. Don't get me wrong, they do have people that come around and collect trash from our building (as well as other buildings) but there is still trash on the streets.
Also, the water is a little gross. Drink it and you'll get sick (just ask two of the new teachers here). They say that you will get used to it after a few weeks, but I couldn't deal with the Pharaoh's Curse for that long.
As for a Feminist movement, that's where things get interesting. To be sure, there are plenty of strong women in the country. However, women are seen as objects here, more so than in the States (in my opinion at least). I've been on the Metro and watched as men stared at the women I'm traveling with. I'm not talking about 5 seconds or anything even near that short, but for a long, long period of time. I've also heard stories of men saying outrageous things to women and even touching them in inappropriate places.
However, this being said, if anyone was to mess with a woman here, and she yelled or did something about it, the men within the vicinity would assist her and he would get what was coming to him. Interesting contradiction huh?

As for more photos.....soon.

God Bless

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Cuz!
That 'contradiction' is interesting...I wonder if it stems from a kind of sense of chivalry or something that the same men who might stare at/objectify women would also lash out when women protest or seem to need protection.
So how do you drink the water there? I'm assuming you have a purifier? Can you cook with the water? What are you eating these days?
Miss you!