Friday, August 04, 2006

My Summer Job.....

Okay, so some of you have been hearing about how much fun my summer job was. Besides working with some great people (Aaron, Melissa, Nancy, Megan, Nick-where ever he is, and yes even you Kathy) I was able to work with some great kids for the past 8 weeks. Sure, I got in trouble a few times, but we had more fun for it!

I worked at the UI Wildlife Camps this summer, in Hawk Camp, probably the greatest camp ever (so much better than those smelly otters and that weak eagle camp). I taught kids archery and I would go on a hike in the mornings where we'd search for mushrooms, insects, bones, wildlife and pretty much anything else to keep the kids occupied for 2 hours.

The last week of camp was great. We grilled out 3 out of 5 days and then on the last day we had some sweet sub sandwiches. Why didn't we start this earlier??

So the big event came of the 2nd to last day of camp. That night Aaron, Melissa and I took some other counselors Snipe Hunting (which, if you've never been, we'll arrange it for when I come back). The night ended with me being sprayed by a skunk which is just as gross as it sounds. In the end though, it was a great night and we all went down in Hawk Camp lore for it.

And if Nick ever reads this....where are you man???? (for those that don't know...Nick went cycling from Kenya to South Africa and we haven't heard from him since mid-July. Most likely due to a lack of Internet access...hopefully....hopefully not lions or hyenas or something like that....yeah.

So that is a brief view of my summer. Probably one of the best summers I can remember and it was a blast. It also allowed me to appreciate the landscape of Iowa before I head for the desert.

2 comments:

Jennifer VM said...

I'm curious if you're some sort of shape-shifting time traveler since you're posting from tomorrow.

At my camp we had snipe hunting scheduled each week. It was always fun at the beginning of the summer for the staff who were all freaked out that they would have to hunt something in the wilds. Mazel. Good times. Good times.

Jennifer VM said...

No worries, your Odo and Matrix-like tendencies are a secret kept safe with me.

My little friend is the cute neighborhood jackrabbit at the famous Here It Is Jackrabbit Trading Post in Joseph City, AZ. He was by far my favorite giant on the trip.