Tuesday, August 29, 2006

My first few days.....

Well, it's official, I've been here for two weeks now. Don't worry, I'm actually having a good time over here, although there have been a few slip-ups and lots of laughs.

This week has been interesting, to say the least. I have decided to join a softball team this semester. The team plays/practices in Maadi, a suburb about 35 minutes away (in a cab at least). We practiced yesterday and truth-be-told, I suck. For those of you that don't know, I've never played baseball or softball, especially organized baseball/softball. In fact, I really don't like baseball, but this is giving me a way to get out of the apartment and a way to meet people.

Today, we took a trip to Maadi to eat lunch. About eight of us went from the school and we had a blast. We ate at a place called Luciles (or something like that). It is an American restaurant there. Maadi is a suburb with a lot of foreigners and ex-pats. It's a very nice place, but it's a complete contradiction to the Egypt that I live in.

School is going well. Currently I'm the only 3rd grade teacher, which would worry me a lot more if we started on Sunday. They have to hire someone to teach Math/Science. This also meant that I was volunteered to be on the Discipline Committee. Good times.

Arabic is coming along slowly. My roommate Alex and I are working on a word of the day. Today is was behb or door. Other words have been beda (eggs) and gamoosa (water buffalo). We don't pick the most useful words, but they're fun to know.

I'll post a picture or two tonight. I hope all is well where ever you are.
God Bless

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Billy Jo, it's good to see pictures. It looks fairly green and open where you live. Can you tell me a little about pollution there? I know you've mentioned it looks kind of dirty, but what kinds of pollution are very prominent and always visible? Air? Trash? Water?
Also, if you want, I can hop on over sometime to give you a few softball pointers...you know, so you don't look like a gamoosa on the field (did i say it right?)
Miss you like my dad misses cable!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

It was great to see a picture. I'm glad things are going well. I dont know if Cario is ready for Say. I know you two would have a great time and have loads of laughs. She would probably beat them at softball, but she might try to start a feminist movement. I hope you continue to explore and take in as much of the culture as you can. Have a great time and enjoy. What an adventure.

AML

Sara said...

Yay! Bad softball players unite! I have the added shame of being one of those losers who insists, "I swear, I was an all-star 15 years ago!" but can't hit the ball hard enough to get to first base now.