Wednesday, December 20, 2006

My bags are packed....

In less than 31 hours I'll be sitting at the airport here in Cairo, waiting to board a plane that will take me to Amsterdam, Minneapolis and ultimately Des Moines. While I'm very excited to be heading home (even though it's only for a couple of days), I thought that this would be a great time for a reflection.

Over the past 4 months, I've been threatened with a lightbulb (also one of the funniest things to happen), nearly hit by many, many cars, yelled at by parents, laughed at by parents, told that I'm no fun and told that I'm a fun teacher. While this range of emotions have fallen upon me, I can't help but still wonder...Why am I here?

I'm one of those people that believe that everything happens for a reason, so as I sit in front of my laptop, I can't help but ponder this question. It has truly been on my mind a lot over the last couple of days, weeks and months.

Is there a lesson that I'm supposed to learn?

Is there someone that I'm suppose to help?

Is someone supposed to push me?

To be totally honest, I'm not sure. I know that this experience has taught me a lot already....

...for starters, I miss Iowa. Only a year ago, I would have refused to believe that this statement would come out of my mouth, it's true. I miss hanging out with my friends, my family and my munchkins at BASP. I miss being able to go out into the woods and take a walk around. I miss being able to call one of my friends at anytime (even though they may ignore it and call me a few days later).

This experience has also taken me completely out of my comfort zone. Never before have I been stared at so much. It's hilarious to step onto the Metro (Subway) and to have everyone turn and look at you....and keep looking at you!
I remember when I went to the zoo and everyone stared. It was awesome. I even had kids yelling out..."Hello! Hello!" It was great. Just imagine seeing a Hispanic person in Iowa City and all of a sudden all the kids yell out, "Hola! Hola!" I've never seen anything like it.

The saddest part of this reflection is that as soon as I get used to being home again, I'll have to come back. I think this is going to be the hardest part of all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the conversation we had about Thanksgiving while I was at the Academy in Texas. I wanted to come home so bad I could hardly stand it (it was my fist Thanksgiving away from you), but I knew that it would be really hard to go back. Do you remember what you told me? It was very good. When you come home it reafirms your bonds. When you go back, it with strengthen your ties. You find that some people are there no matter what, when, or where. You have several friends and family here that are like that. You are on an amazing journey. Learn everything you can. As for the reason, sometimes we know while we are there. Sometimes in a few years, and sometimes never. But, you are right. There is a reason. Joshua 1:9. See you soon.
AML