Monday, December 25, 2006

My first days back....

Well, I've been back in Iowa for roughly two days now. I went to Iowa City for Saturday and part of today before returning to DM to hang out with my Mom and Dad for a little Christmas Eve dinner.

To be honest, I had high hopes of returning to Iowa City. I was really excited and I think I built it up so high in my mind that it was truly a little disappointing. I don't want to offend anyone that I visited, because I did have a great time talking with my friends, it's just that I've been thinking about how fantastic Iowa City is for a few months now and then....well....it didn't live up to the hype.
It's kind of like when people keep telling you how great a movie is...and they keep hyping it and hyping it and hyping it. Finally you decide to see it and then, while you think it's good, you didn't think it was awesome. Does this make sense?

To be honest, this has put a question mark in my future plans. Again, I don't want to offend anyone, but now I question whether or not I should return. I mean, I do know people there and it is fun, but it would also seem to be a step back in time and not a step forward toward moving on with my life. While it is a comfortable place for me, I remember often being bored and looking for something to do....and my friends were usually busy and then I would rent movies and watch them by myself. Stimulating.

So now I look toward the rest of my break. I have a wedding coming up on Saturday and I'm meeting up with friends throughout the week, while spending time with my buddies. Good times are in store!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you've answered your questions in your reflections. You can always come home for a visit but you must move on and go forward. That doesn't mean you have to keep going farther overseas. But always take the steps forward. When I moved to Des Moines, I left all my family (except the two kids) in Memphis. I missed "home". But when I went back to visit, I realized that it was no longer home and I was glad to get back to DM. I will always consider Memphis as my home town but its not home and even though I miss it, I don't want to move back. I am now moving to Kansas City; it has been somewhat emotional. But I understand that this is a step forward; something that has to be and I will look at KC as home and DM as a good place to visit friends at. I'm just glad I have email. That makes the adjustment a lot easier.
But curiosity have some of your blog readers wanting to know about your Hitch experience. Please elaborate. If not, tell your mom & I will grill her over it next week. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. As much as I miss Iowa City and love going back to visit, I just don't know that I could move back. It really would feel like going a bit backwards in life.

Anonymous said...

Bill I am having the same problems. I was thinking the entire time while in Florida, that I wanted to come home. That everything would be better if I came back. Now I am back and I find that everyone has moved on without me and that this place is tremendously boring...thinking of going back to Florida, but there are a few people I will leave out of the decision this time...

William Flinn said...

um...the Hitch experience(s) may have to stay in the vault for a little while.....