Wednesday, September 06, 2006

My Answers II

Okay, so I got the RIP to Steve off my chest and now I can answer some of the questions that have come in (wow, I almost feel like a famous author or something).

For those of you that don't know, I'm here in Cairo teaching 3rd graders at Nefertari American International School. I teach English and Social Studies and I'll have around 30 students in my two classes. As awesome as this sounds, the drawback is that our start date has been pushed back (again), this time to the 24th of September. While this may be good, the drawback is that we now have to stay until the 28th of June AND our starting date is also the start of our Ramadan schedule. That means we will only have school from 8:30 to 1:30 AND the kids won't be able to focus because most of them will be fasting....for a month. Good Times.

As for my water situation, I've been drinking mostly bottled water. This is to avoid being on the receiving end of the Pharaoh's curse (which two of the new teachers already picked up). The only time I don't drink from a bottle is when we do ice cubes, but we boil that water for around 20 minutes before we put it in the trays.

I also had a question about what I eat over here. Mostly, it's a lot of fast food and pizza (am I in college again?). We have Otlob, which is a website that allows you to order from a ton of restaurants and they will call and place the order for you. It's amazing. Even Chili's in on the list.
Tonight however, I broke from the mold a little. I made flour tortillas tonight (yes, from scratch) and I plan on cooking up some mean quesadillas tomorrow for lunch. Tortillas are hard to come by over here. You can rarely find them in Royal House or Metro (to local grocery stores). It's an experiment, so we'll see how it works out.

That's all for now. Thanks soooo much for all the comments, questions, prayers and love that I've received over the last few weeks. It means a lot.

God Bless.

3 comments:

William Flinn said...

A pork tenderloin....ha ha ha, you're hilarous. It's very difficult to get ANY pork here, since most of the people here are Muslim (and they can't eat it). There is a butcher in Maadi I hear, that can get real bacon, but a tenderloin may be pushing it. As for the h2o, I don't use it to brush the teeth, I go with a little tap, but no swallowing!!

Anonymous said...

I know it is not time yet, but I will cheat and tell you "happy Birth Day". Technically, I am the first one to say it even if it is a little early.
I just wanted to tell you that it is great to have you here in Egypt. Hope you enjoy it and take a piece of a different culture within you.
Have a great Birth Day :)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday. We're thinking of you and enjoying your blog site. Take care.