Saturday, September 02, 2006

My working weekend....

I've had a ton of people ask me, "Hey, since you don't work until the 17th, are you going to do any traveling before then?"

While this is a fantastic question and if I wasn't a teacher it would be ideal, believe it or not, I am actually working right now. If only my job consisted of showing up on the first day and just going from there! No, unfortunately they expect us to "plan" things and keep the children occupied for the ENTIRE day. How ridiculous is that? Can't I just hand half of them wiffle ball bats and tell them to go nuts?

This being said, I took advantage of the weekend to do a little bit of planning. As it looks right now, I have the spelling lists planned out until December. I also have my plans for Social Studies done until almost the same time. I still have a ton of time left in the day, so I should get a few more things done, but alas, it may go down hill from here. I'm starting to feel an unproductive streak coming on.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember hearing what age group you will be teaching or clases. What's the season there right now (summer, spring)? How does it compare to IA (more humid, drier)? I bet you have already figured out a plan to get a game of soccer fit into the schedule into the class schedule. What's your room mate like? A pretty good chap? From what I've been hearing & reading, there are a lot of custom differences. Went to college with people from all over the world, and yes, women in that area may be viewed as objects/possessions but never make a woman cry. My girlfriends used to tell me about their lives "back home". How far is the school from your flat? How large will your class be? How's the food? What has been your favorite meal so far? Are you getting used to the language? I had problems remembering which tense to use for male and female with the Arabic language. What is your impression of the city now that you've had a couple weeks to look at it? Crowded, quiet, busy, colorful? I noticed some color in your apartment but the buildings outside looked a bit drab. Have you found much to do after school?
Have fun & enjoy (& the mother in me forces me to say - be safe)
-Margaret

Anonymous said...

Those unproductive streaks can be real savers. I've often found that if I stop, take a break and think things over I get new ideas, sometimes bettr than the original. Instead of the wiffle ball bats maybe you could do a little soccer in the room. No matter what, have fun.

AML

Anonymous said...

Hey Billimus,
Nice to see the pad and view. I think Magnum PI had a similar sofa set in Robin Master's guest house. If at all posible could you grow a mustache and take a picture of yourself on your sofa with a tropical shirt? All 80's references aside, nice to see you are settling in a bit...I too suck at softball (& kickball as you know). Keep up the good work!
Later Brother.

Anonymous said...

No seriously, forget the wiffle balls...and remember the FORTS!!!!
If my teacher let me build a fort in class, they'd be my favorite...for life!
Love you like Mike Farley loves the 80's!