Wednesday, September 13, 2006

My Birthday abroad.....

So last Sunday was my first birthday that I have spent outside of the United States. It was a memorable one.

After a hard day of not doing much at school, I walked to Korba (45 min) to meet up with Kelly and Erica, two of the other teachers over here. We then took a cab to meet Reham, who had set up a felucca ride on the Nile for my bday. Awesome.

After taking a cab ride to Maadi and the banks of the Nile, we got on a felucca and were about to set off, when Kain (another teacher) called. He, Hollis and Gheda (yes, two other teachers) were there and they came to join in the festivities. So the seven of us set off on a ride that lasted a little over an hour.

It was so relaxing on the river!!! There was a gentle breeze that felt great and it was dark, so we could actually see some stars (a first in my time here). We ate a little bit of chocolate cake on the boat, drank some coke and shared some stories. To be honest, it is going down as one of my favorite birthdays thus far.

God Bless

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bill, Sounds like you had a very relaxing time!!!

Anonymous said...

That was so nice of Reham. I hope you get to take in more of the wonderful things to see, and that you are keeping a journal. Please stay safe and have fun.

AML

Anonymous said...

Good B-day Story,
Anytime you can roll on the Nile it has to be a good one! The Hawkeyes pulled off a victory yesterday. The first one I have seen in person durring the 9 seasons I have been at the University of Iowa. Nice to check that one off the list. Now if I could just get this one....
[]Boat ride on the Nile
Later Bill,
Mike

Anonymous said...

Hi Cuz,
I'm an awful person and forgot your birthday! I'm so sorry. But it's great to hear that you had such an amazing day.
I miss you!
Say