Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My Deja Vu.....

So I've officially been a teacher for around four days now (really? that's it???) and I'm already starting to see some tendencies from my students. For example, the kid that didn't do his homework the first couple of days and had to stay in from break....yeah, that's going to happen a lot. The over-achiever that keeps doing everything you ask, perfectly....he'll keep doing it (thank God someone does). It's truly amazing to see the patterns already start to form in my classes. It's like I could almost fill in the gradebook for the rest of the year right now. Shoot, let's just forget the next 10 months, I'll give them a grade now!

While that's not exactly ethically acceptable and yes, one or two students may be able to turn it around, it's really true. I'm starting to see the patterns. Which brings me to what I'm trying to create....

....patterns. Routines. I'm trying to get these basic things in my students' heads now so that they aren't a constant battle for the entire year. For example, my students have a tendency to just blurt out. That has to change. They also have a tendency to call me "Meester, Meester". I have to remind them that I do have a name and if they want me to answer, they should use it. Otherwise I'll refer to them as, "Kid in the corner with glasses" or worse (if it was acceptable-use your imagination).

Truth be told, week one is in the books, since all we have to do on Thursday is spelling tests and reflections in journals. That's not bad. Plus, it's pay day and I have the last three periods empty. GOOD TIMES!!!!

1 comment:

Roster said...

You survived week one! Life here has been a bit crazy, like 60 hour work weeks crazy. And really it's not going to calm down until January. So Woohoo! :D I am still loving it though. It's good to hear you're surviving the little hooligans.