Monday, May 29, 2006

My long day

Today I finished up my wonderful little jaunt in Sydney and flew back to Brisbane. On the last day I thought it would be a wonderful idea to go to Bondi Beach (pronounced Bond-eye). After taking the train to Bondi Junction I walked about 1 km to the beach. As I suspected, it was a giant beach. There was strike one for the day.
I decided that I would head back to another rail stop on the way back to the center of the city. I thought I say a little harbor that looked similar to the one in Finding Nemo, so I walked the 1 km back to the station. Once I got on the train, I looked at my handy map and guide book and saw that I was near Fox Studios Australia, the place where The Matrix trilogy, among other films, were made. I decided after looking up the description that it might be fun. So I walked another 1.5 km to the studios.
Strike two came when I arrived to find that it was nothing more than some restaurants, crappy shops and a giant grass oval. That was a bit of a bummer and a waste of time. After this I figured I would try my chance at the harbor, so I walked another 1.5 km there. I couldn't take a train because I was in-between the two closest stations and neither one would get me any closer.
Once I got there, I looked at the harbor and said, "yep, that could be it." I took a picture and proceeded to King's Cross. Oddly enough, King's Cross (much like Fortitude Valley in Brisbane) is the adult entertainment sector of the city. How is it that I always manage to find these places???
After walking back to the station I looked at the map and realized that I was almost back to the city. So I decided to walk the rest of the way. I figured I'd probably never do it again, so what the heck. This is where strike three comes into play. The pain I felt that night was something that I've avoided for most of my trip. Any man will know what it feels like if you've walked way too far in a single day and they may even describe that raw feeling you get. Ouch.

I figured today would be better, since I was heading back to Brisbane. I got to the airport and all was going well. Then the entire high school showed up and they were on my flight to Brisbane. Good times.

They weren't that bad until the landing. I've never heard someone scream for no apparent reason on a landing, but low and behold, a couple of girls did. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

So now I'm back in the Sunshine State, sitting at a computer in a shady arcade and whynging, which if you ask Jude, is what I do best!! ; )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill,
Sorry I didn't get a chance to catch up with you before you left. Hope that the flight home is uneventful and that you had a good time in OZ. Speak to you soon. Stuart