Saturday, May 20, 2006

My Preparations....

.....with State of Origin coming up, I decided to rent a DVD of the greatest Origin moments of the last 25 years. I watched it last night in an attempt to figure out what the big deal was about these upcoming rugby matches. I knew there was some hatred, so I was thinking along the lines of Iowa vs. Iowa State or something like Michigan vs Ohio State football, something where the two teams really don't like each other. To be honest I think I underestimated the whole thing.....

But first, for all of you Origin virgins like myself, State of Origin is a best of three rugby test matches between the best players from the state of Queensland (the Maroons) against the state of New South Wales (the Blues). You play for the team where you first played rugby at a competitive level. It all sounds pretty simple right? Well, there is some history here....

Previously most of the best players from Queensland would play in the rugby league in Sydney, then when Origin time came up, they would play for NSW against Queensland. The problem was that most of the best came from Queensland, so they were playing against their home state.
This all changed in 1980 when State of Origin began. The tag line that goes with the Origin series is State vs. State, Mate vs. Mate. Mate vs Mate meaning that guys who play in the rugby league together would play against each other.

Now you have the historical background, but there is one element missing....hate. These two teams literally dislike each other to the point of hatred. There have been tons of all-out brawls during the past Origin games and I saw clips of guys playing with blood all over their faces. I personally would never play rugby, some say I'm not fast enough or big enough or strong enough, but I prefer to think that I'm just to pretty....but that's me.
The closest comparison I can make to this is if in the NFL Pro Bowl, the two teams where divided by where you were born, North or South. Then the two teams played for Real. None of this, no hard hitting, or take it easy type of hits. NFL Playoff intensity and hitting, but with All-Stars. That would come close to the type of game that starts on Wednesday night. Oh yeah, and then they would play two more times in the next two weeks. Then it would come close.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i could never put my finger on it, but then you went ahead and said it perfectly. yes, you are just too pretty.

:D